Saturday, November 28, 2009

New City Thoughts


Here I am!  At a Cosi in Lincoln Park, Chicago.  I am alone.  It is dark.  And I walked here by myself.  I think I might really like Chicago.  I moved in yesterday and have felt tons of different emotions already.  Excitement, intimidation, independence, lonesomeness.  It's so crazy to think that I actually live here and can do anything I want.  And I can get practically anywhere I want without having to depend on others.  Tomorrow I'm going window shopping on Michigan Ave with a friend and we're going to have a picnic in Millennium Park.  I'm excited.  One thing I'm afraid about is making friends in the city.  I know I just have to put myself out there and things will happen.  I just need to get over my shyness.


Right now I'm a bit overwhelmed by everything.  I don't quite know what I'm doing and I don't really know the area too well.  I think once I've been here for a little while I'll feel better.  I think doing something routinely makes you a lot more confident.  New things are scary.  But oftentimes new things bring about the greatest rewards.


I went to the grocery store by myself today for the first time ever.  Yeah, you read that right.  It's interesting that people here use baskets a lot more than carts.  Rarely in St. Louis do I see people using baskets to do their grocery shopping.  It makes sense, though.  People walk  and take the bus to get their groceries, rather than driving.  Thus, you buy less so that you can carry everything.  There are a lot of little differences like that between living in the suburbs and living in a city.


I love you all and already miss you bunches.

1 comment:

Erin Lee said...

love you and miss you too! you better leave that apartment!