Sunday, March 16, 2008

Scrape

Sometimes I'll look at an object and see a scuff of some sort on the surface.  Many times from afar I cannot tell whether there is a physical thing (+) on the object, or if I am seeing the absence of material (-).  There is always that couple seconds of wonder and worry, wondering whether it will be a positive/neutral, or negative situation.  If it is positive, I am able to brush off whatever dirt or grime exists and usually the consequences are very little.  I often feel a slight sense of relief when this happens.  Sometimes, however, I will run my finger over the mark and feel a nick along the surface.  This negative cannot be fixed as easily.  It is quite hard to add something fake to recreate the appearance of something being real.

It's okay to pile things on ourselves, to get a little messy.  We can always wipe it away and start from scratch.  But to take all of the positives (+) away and be exposed to the negatives (-), well that takes guts.

1 comment:

Doug said...

I like this bog because it's unique. I haven't ever thought about scuffs like that before. :)

Pile it on!