Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Do this!

I have a task for you. It will take you however much time you're willing to spend on it. Here it is. After every small, mundane task you do, ask yourself why you just did that. You can be as detailed or as vague as you like. For example, I just scratched my ear because it itched, I just looked down at my keyboard because I was typing and I wanted to see what I was typing, I just looked up at the supply cabinet because I was trying to think of what to write next, I just answered the phone and said hello because it rang and that's what I've been told to do. Maybe this is a boring task, but it'll make you think a little about things you normally don't think about. Some of the things you do you might not know why you do. Maybe that would be interesting to think about. Now go try it and comment about how it goes!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I probably spend minutes every day adding up to hours every month messing with my hair. I have this one little spot where on my neck where it doesn't go straight down, instead, it curls towards the inside of my neck. I usually reach back and sweep the hair back to where it's straight, and then it feels weird so I keep noticing it. It's like an addiction. It started about two years ago. I'm sure I had it before, but, oh, and my right eye usually itches, it's definitely an itchy eye. Nope, no pink eye or anything like that. Just gets itchy more easily than my left one. Oh and when I think about what to type next, I sometimes pat my keys, and then I pretend to play drums with the keys. Hmmm...I'll go back to work and see if I can think of anything else. Oh and whenever I get in front of a mirror I often check for gray hairs. I go in spurts doing this, sometimes it's a quick glance to see if it's noticeable. Other times it's a serious investigation to discover how many more I have. Just put my hands on my cheek. My fingers are usually cold. I spend way too much time on a computer. This comment comes after doing 20 different things the internet. I had to call a client because I forgot to ask what their mother's maiden name was. For some reason, this insurance company feels it's important to ask this question. I wonder how much it's really needed. They told me it's for security purposes. Who knows. I need to focus. I keep getting random thoughts thinking about what I'm doing and why I'm doing them. I analyze things a lot. I have no idea why. I guess I try to figure out why things are the way they are. See I just analyzed why I analyze things so much. Okay, I'm done!